Hi & welcome to my PS blog! This blog is for full PS although some steps will also work in PSE. Most actions, unless stated are not PSE compatiable. I do try to make an action for PSE from time to time. I hope you have fun here and learn some things along the way. If you have any questions, just drop me a comment! :O)

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Editing in 8bit vs 16 bit...

There is a lot of info on the web about editing in 8bit & 16bit.  You can google until your eyeballs pop out!  I do not claim to be a professional and know all the the techy info.  But I know and understand the basics and what an average person needs to understand!  So rather than try to explain what I know and why I edit in 16bit vs 8bit, I will link you to a great post and then show you a GREAT visual example between the two!

Damien Symonds ~ Bit Depth Explained by Cake

(photo by Shelley Shaffer edited by me with permission.  Edited with Florabella's Classic BW from her new Workflow set, which is AMAZING and her best set to date)

This one was edited in 8bit.  as you can see, there is a rainbow of banding on the backdrop!  You could not give this to a client!



Exact same image, exact same action/edit!  The only difference is this was edited in 16bit and not converted to 8bit until I was ready to save.  Look at that beautiful smooth background!  THIS you could give to a client!


And I always love a side by side together!  Top edited in 8bit & bottom edited in 16bit!  And what I also noticed is the color on the 8bit is off as well


I hope between Damien's post and my visual example, it will show you the benefits of editing in 16bit.  It's more important on shots with solid large backgrounds such as backdrops or lots of sky in shots etc!  Jump on the 16bit bandwagon...you won't regret it!

And coming up (not sure when since I've been really busy lately) I will have two new Action Review blog posts!   I will be reviewing

Pure Actions (various different sets which I will go over in the post)

and

Florabella (her NEW Workflow set)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  :)

10 comments:

Jill September 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM  

I'm not able to see any of the pictures. :-( Probably just normal a blogger fluke. It's funny you have the link to Damien's explanation. When I saw your thread on 2peas, the first thing I thought was, "The only thing I know about bits is that they're like cake". :-)

momaziggy September 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM  

Not sure why you cannot see the images. They are showing up for me! Hmmm...

That's funny about Damien! :)

ErinFiat September 18, 2011 at 11:55 AM  

For the "before" images, it is locked for me and says "content protected by owner."

amymom24 September 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM  

Great post! Thanks for the info - I didn't know the banding came from being in 8-bit. Now I'm trying to figure out how to automatically open images in 16-bit mode from Bridge... I can't find it in the preferences. Any help there? Thanks!

momaziggy September 19, 2011 at 7:47 AM  

Thank you everyone! I apologize for the images not showing up. I am not sure what's going on with my Zenfolio account. I haven't made any changes to the account and have always put all my images for this blog in this album. The entire album is set to public so I'm going to have to contact them to find out what the problem is. Thank you for your patience!

Amymom...I do mine in ACR. Not sure if you are able to do the settings change in Bridge. When you open your RAW file in ACR, at the very bottom there is a blue link. Click on that and change it to 16bit. Now all RAW files or jpegs brought through ACR will be opened in 16bit. If you do not shoot RAW, when you open your JPEG in PS, go to Image>Mode>16 bit. Then once you are done editing and ready to save, you'll need to convert the image back to 8bit via Image>Mode>8bit!

Have a great Monday!

amymom24 September 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

Perfect - found it in ACR no problem. Thanks so much!

momaziggy September 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

My pleasure Amy! :)

Kimberly September 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM  

Still can't see the second photo. Is this by chance posted anywhere else so we can see the comparison?

momaziggy September 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM  

Kimberly...let me know if you can see them here...

http://momaziggypsfun.blogspot.com/2011/09/editing-16bit-vs-8bit.html

Anonymous October 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM  

when you go to the link to download, you click it it tells you to wait for a long time, then you get this message.

Sorry, the file link that you requested is not valid.
Reasons for this may include:
Invalid link
The file has been deleted because it was violating our Terms of user

mindy V

Search My Blog

Followers

About my PS Blog

Hi, my name is Crystal and I am addicted to Photoshop. I have PSCS4 and it's my other half. I love photography, but sometimes I think it's a means to edit!

So I thought it would be fun to have a place to post the free action sets I record, tips and tricks that I learn in PS and tuts for various different types of photo editing.

I hope you enjoy and find my PS blog helpful and if you have any questions, leave me a comment with your questions and your email address and I will get back to you!

Happy editing!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home to 2 great girls. My older daughter Haylee just started middle school and my younger daughter Avyree is in 1st grade! I have been married 11 years to my hubs Eric. I got my first DSLR June 31, 2008 and have been hooked ever since! My style is primarily Lifestyle! I like to take a natural and real life approach to my images! I want them to remind me of WHO my girls were when they were little, not just what they looked like. I love to edit and my editing style is always evolving and changing! I like variety and photography is a means to edit! I shoot Canon (full frame) and almost only primes. I pull out my wide angle zoom from time to time! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you like our story...
Background paper by Kay Miller

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP