Hi & welcome to my PS blog! This blog is for full PS although some steps will also work in PSE. Most actions, unless stated are not PSE compatiable. I do try to make an action for PSE from time to time. I hope you have fun here and learn some things along the way. If you have any questions, just drop me a comment! :O)

Friday, October 23, 2009

PSE & full PS B&W Cream action...

Are you tired of dull gray b&w conversions or conversions that are too blue? Well this action may help you. I personally do not care for gray b&w's most of the time & I truly dislike blue b&w conversions. This action is a simple action with only 3 layers. This action will give you a clean, bright white b&w. Yet it will keep the details in your darks without washing them out. It will lift the darks yet keep them rich. This works great on darker images, or subjects with darker hair. It will lift the highlights in the darker hair giving nice detail while still keeping the richness in the hair. This is now my go to b&w conversion.
Since I recorded this with PSE in mind, it is not a set but a single action and it will not group the layers in a folder since PSE does not have folders. If you are using full PS and really want the folder, start recording a new action, then hit play on this action in your layers panel (you will have to keep the original in your panel for this to work) then once my action runs, select all the layers from my action, hit ctrl/g to group the layers into the folder and stop recording. Now you'll have an action that does my steps but groups them into a folder. I'm a folder freak, so it may be worth the time to do if you are an odd ball like me! Lol!

Here are some examples.

Nugget after eating strawberries this morning. Yes, I leave the food on the faces of my girls. I like to keep it real! Lol!



And here is after the conversion and tweaking the layers...


Here is another example. Obviously this is not SOOC. But it also shows you that you can run this on an already edited image and still get a great result...


I did mask the lighten layer at 50% opacity out of the image on the left because it was already pretty bright....


Some detail shots that I edited... {oops, forgot to resize}


the action with the layers tweaked just a little...

A few options that are fun to try with this actions is...
*For a nice creamy bright color edit, run the action and turn off the b&w layer
**Lower the b&w layer for a creamy fadded look
***For a deeper rich more urban creamy look, change the blend mode of the b&w layer to soft layer and play with layer opacity....lowering it to around 30% or lower usually
**** For a brighter more washed out creamy look, change the blend mode of the b&w layer to screen and lower the opacity also to around 30% or so.
*****And of course with any action, play with all the layers until you have the desired look. Make sure to play with the Lighten layer if it's too bright, or raise it if it's still too dark and if the cream is too much, lower the opacity!
So give it a try and tell me what you think! Download the zipped file HERE! I included the atn, png & psd so that it can be used in all PSE versions. If you have any questions, please let me know.

19 comments:

Kristi October 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Thank you so much! It looks lovely. :) Can't wait to try it out (lurker at Two Peas).

{Susan...Seriously.} October 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

i'm a lurker, too! thanks for sharing! it looks dreamy!

Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

Thanks for sharing.

Kristi C

Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

thanks for sharing, this action looks great! Can't wait to try it!

Mindy October 23, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Looks fantastic but I have a problem. :( I just downloaded it and installed it, but when I tried to apply it was given the error that is was NOT compatible with PSE? It is supposed to be compatible with PSE right? I have PSE 7. Thanks!

Ragan October 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Thank so much! Can't wait to try it out.

momaziggy October 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

Did you also install the png in the proper folder? All layers that were used for the action are also in PSE, I didn't add layer masks or group in a folder! Hmm...any others load it in PSE yet? I have PSE but was lazy and didn't test it first...ugh! Lol! Let me know how you installed it and I'll test it in PSE7 as well!

Mindy October 23, 2009 at 9:28 PM  

Woohoo - I got it to work! For some reason when I install actions it creates two thumbnails and one works and the other one does not. I clicked on the defunct one first, but just tried the other and it worked beautifully! Thanks again for sharing!

momaziggy October 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM  

Oh good Mindy. I did read on Rita's Coffee Shop through one of the links there that that can happen. Glad you got it figured out and I hope you enjoy the action! :O)

Kim October 24, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Thank you, this action looks perfect. :0)

Anonymous November 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Thanks!!!! beautiful conversion

Alysha Sladek November 5, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

Thanks for sharing!! Great photos BTW

Ashley November 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

I LOVE them! As always you are so awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! You rock! :)

marsha November 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

Downloaded this today & can't stop playing with it-thanks for the action set!

Anonymous February 24, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

I have PSE 8 and am not sure where to install these files in order to use them.

Steph April 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

Thanks! Can't wait to try it out!
Steph/myliesmom

Anonymous May 8, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

Thank you for sharing. I love your actions.
For some reason though the B&W ones don't change my pic to B&W. The action runs and makes adjustments but in color. I have all layer turned on. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

momaziggy May 13, 2010 at 9:23 AM  

I'm not really sure! I haven't heard that problem yet. There should be a b/w gradient map layer that converts it to b/w. Maybe reload the action, or even re-download and load them again. Sometimes things go wonky in the download or loading process! Hope it works! :O)

Anonymous May 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

I figured it out, I just had to move the black and white layer above the background picture. These actions are lovely. Thanks again for sharing!

Search My Blog

Followers

About my PS Blog

Hi, my name is Crystal and I am addicted to Photoshop. I have PSCS4 and it's my other half. I love photography, but sometimes I think it's a means to edit!

So I thought it would be fun to have a place to post the free action sets I record, tips and tricks that I learn in PS and tuts for various different types of photo editing.

I hope you enjoy and find my PS blog helpful and if you have any questions, leave me a comment with your questions and your email address and I will get back to you!

Happy editing!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home to 2 great girls. My older daughter Haylee just started middle school and my younger daughter Avyree is in 1st grade! I have been married 11 years to my hubs Eric. I got my first DSLR June 31, 2008 and have been hooked ever since! My style is primarily Lifestyle! I like to take a natural and real life approach to my images! I want them to remind me of WHO my girls were when they were little, not just what they looked like. I love to edit and my editing style is always evolving and changing! I like variety and photography is a means to edit! I shoot Canon (full frame) and almost only primes. I pull out my wide angle zoom from time to time! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you like our story...
Background paper by Kay Miller

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP